Friday, October 17, 2014

Modern- vintage chair

My mom has always been a big supporter of my craft and when I started salvaging furniture, it was no different. She showed up with this chair one day for me to fix up and I was immediately in love.


It was vintage yet modern. The fabric was oozing a gold dust and the pale green was so drab. It was begging for a new beginning. 

I removed the fabric and found that the foam had completely broken down and turned to gold dust that been seeping out of the fabric. I donned a face mask because I was sure that inhaling foam could not be good.

I custom mixed the color with Annie Sloan's Old White and Graphite for this medium gray color. This took a few mixes and trials before I got the gray that I wanted. Turned out just right!

I've been really working on my waxing technique so I gave the chair a few coats of clear wax, then distressed just a bit.

Finally, I got to work on the new cushions and uphostery. First, I attempted this with a staple gun but I think I lack the muscles to get those staples all the way into wood. Geesh. My mother in law came to the rescue with some uphostery nails and a magnetic nail hammer. I am in LOVE with this tool.

See that little nail on the end...genius. Then the seats got screwed into place and the chair was complete. Ta Da!!


             What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. What a transformation! Looks great. Because of the low profile it should work wonderfully for a child's space or is also study enough for an a adult.

    ReplyDelete